Today our team is going to give you a brief look into a common dental problem known as dry mouth to help increase your awareness.
Dry mouth is a condition caused by not having enough saliva to keep your mouth wet. This condition can cause difficulties in tasting, chewing, swallowing and speaking. It also increases the risk of developing decay and infections in the mouth.
Believe it or not, everyone has dry mouth every once and a while – when we are nervous, upset or under stress. But when we experience dry mouth constantly, it can lead to serious health problems.
Here are some common signs to look for to help diagnose dry mouth:
- Trouble chewing, swallowing, tasting or speaking
- A sticky, dry feeling in the mouth
- A burning feeling in the mouth
- A dry feeling in the throat
- Sores in the mouth and corners of the mouth
- Cracked lips
- Hoarseness, dry nasal passages or sore throat
- Bad breath
- An infection in the mouth
- A dry, tough, noticeably red tongue
If you are noticing any or all of these signs, it may be a good time to speak with your dentist or doctor. They will be able to help prescribe some solutions to treat your dry mouth right at home or with a prescription. If you’ve experienced dry mouth for a while, please give our office a call today at 952.890.2791 to schedule an examination and cleaning. Our dentist will be able to look for any decay or infection that might have occurred and help treat it before it comes worse.